CLIENTS PLEASE NOTE CORRECTION IN SOUNDBITE 20
May 18 2004
1. Wide shot, 9-11 commission panel at The New School in New York City
2. Family members in audience
3. SOUNDBITE (English) Thomas Kean, Chairman, National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States:
"Today will be a very difficult day, as we relive the loss and the terrible devastation."
4. Family member wiping her eyes
5. FILE Wide shot of graphic being played at commission of plane hitting North Tower
6. FILE Graphic being shown at commission of Twin Towers
7. Testimony of survivor, Brian Clark, President of Euro Brokers Relief Fund - UPSOUND "Your attention please, Ladies and Gentlemen, Building two is secure. There is no need to evacuate Building 2. If you are in the midst of evacuation, you may use the re-entry doors and the elevators to return to your office. Repeat, Building 2 is secure."
8. Wide shot of panel
9. Commission FILE - firemen in North Tower
10. Commission FILE - North Tower burning
11. Various of family members watching file
12. Wide shot of panel
14. SOUNDBITE (English) Sam Casperson, Committee Staff member:
"The chief testing the master handset at 9:05 did not realize the master handset had not been activated. When he could not communicate, he concluded that the system was down. The system was working however and was used subsequently by firefighters in the South Tower."
15. SOUNDBITE (English - starts over still photos and video of burning towers) Joseph Pfeifer, Deputy Assistant Chief, Fire Department of New York:
"We didn't have a lot of information coming in, we didn't receive any reports of what was seen from the helicopters. As a matter of fact, what you saw on TV, we didn't have that information."
16. Pan right of audience to panel
17. SOUNDBITE (English) Alan Reiss, Former Director, World Trade Department, Port Authority New York and New Jersey:
"I really don't feel anger at the FBI, I feel anger at nineteen people in an airplane."
18. SOUNDBITE (English) Bob Kerrey, Committee member:
"I appreciate that very much. As do I, but, these nineteen people got documents and got into the United States of America, they defeated the INS, they defeated the Customs (Department), they defeated the FBI, they defeated the CIA, they hijacked four American airplanes." AUDIO applause
19. Wide shot of panel
20. SOUNDBITE (English) John Lehman, 9/11 Commissioner, former Secretary of Navy (INSTEAD OF Lee Hamilton, Vice Chairman, National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States)
"It's a scandal that after labouring for eight years, the city comes up with a plan for incident management that simply puts in concrete clearly a disfunctional system." AUDIO applause. "I would like to hear from each of you, why there shouldn't be a Commissioner of Public Safety with line authority. Why there shouldn't be a procurement agency that can solve these inter-agency problems. It's not rocket science."
21.Wide shot of Hamilton speaking
22. SOUNDBITE (English) Bernard Kerik, Former Commissioner, New York Police Department:
"We're not the same type of agency it's not like the military. The military is all focusing on one operation, we're not, we don't do that. I don't do stuff that the fire department does, I do other stuff - and the fire department does their thing. Well, if we have to work together, well then so be it and we come up with conclusions on what the specific things we will do with those different functions."
23. Hamilton listening
24. Wide shot of panel
25. SOUNDBITE (English) Thomas Von Essen, Former Commissioner, Fire Department of New York:
26. Side shot of panel and audience
You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/6e7427bce77e334d31917ad9be75840c
Find out more about AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork